Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Why isn't it November yet???

I have decided, after much thought, that I need to take a step back regarding this election. I'm not able to be as involved as I would like to be. I'm too pregnant to canvass (not that I've ever done that before--I don't like knocking on strangers' doors) or to host a fund raiser for my chosen candidate (take a wild guess. I'll give you a hint: As far as we know, he never called his wife a c-u-n-t in front of reporters). Ethan and I did the latter for the '04 election and actually managed to raise an impressive sum considering we only had about 15 people there.

I just don't have it in me to be as emotionally invested in this election as I was in the last one and it makes me very sad :(. The historic ramifications alone make me wish I had the energy to go (figurative) balls out and do all I can do to make sure America elects a president we can actually be proud of. I just don't have it in me this time, is all.

I can barely shower, dress, feed myself and get a couple of chores done in a day before collapsing for the evening. The constant exhaustion and helter skelter hormones leave me no choice but to deliberately avoid anything that might upset me. Election coverage is at the top of that list. I must also avoid sad/sappy movies and TV. Ethan is very stressed out about the recent bump in the polls McCain has received post-convention and post-nomination of Sarah Palin. I sure don't blame him, I just don't want to hear about it.

I know it sucks. It sucks that the election could be anywhere near this close at this point in the game. If the American people would ignore all the media talking heads and their sensationalism and actually focus on what the candidates have to say about the issues, the choice would be obvious and this election would be a mere formality.

Sadly, that's not the case. We love a dog and pony show! Don't make our heads hurt with all your brainy solutions to America's problems, just make us wanna have a beer with you. That's all that counts. Seriously? Is this how we decide who should lead our nation? That's a ginuwine polling question, folks. For the highest office in the land! I'm glad that's not how hospitals decide which surgeons to hire, or how schools select teachers, or how airlines select pilots (although there have been a few stories that would make one think otherwise).

So anyway, on to the point of this post--because it's late and I'm sleepy. I've decided all I can do for the duration is to throw money at my candidate when possible, show up on voting day, push the button and wash my hands of the whole shebang. And I have to feel OK with this. It's all I have the emotional and physical energy for right now.

And a direct plea to Obama campaign advisors--Playing nice is all well and good when your opponent reciprocates. We dems tend to take the high road out of principle. It's honorable, but there's far too much at stake in this election. You have my express permission to do whatever it takes to get the job done. The uninsured and working poor of this country are depending on you. Don't sacrifice them for your principles.

2 comments:

kaylynuke said...

I get polled by Zogby quite a lot for this election cycle and the ask some weird ass ?s but not the beer one...so far.

Jeanne said...

Hey, you're doing your part; you're gestating a future intelligent voter. There is no greater contribution to this country!