So High Holidays are here again. As Ethan and I have still not managed to pick a new synagogue in Morris County, we'll be spending them at home rather than temple. Still, the holidays always put me in a reflective mood.
We have a piggy bank that we drop all our spare change into. Normally, I wait till it's full, take it to the Stop N' Shop, dump it in the Coinstar and just put my little cash voucher toward the grocery bill. I've decided that it was time to turn the piggy bank into a--rather ironic--tzedakah box (charity box for you gentiles).
Traditionally, Jews put money in their tzedakah box each shabbat to be contributed to a charity of their choice once the box is full. As I said, we just empty our spare change into it any old day of the week. When full, that little oinker can hold up to $70.
Not a huge sum you might think, but for my current charity of choice, $70 saved = 7 lives saved. I'm sure you've all heard of Nothing But Nets. It's been all over the media lately. Each $10 donated purchases a mosquito bed net to prevent malaria deaths in Africa. In many cases, the bed covered by that net might sleep more than 1 person, so each donation of $10 may very well save 2 or more lives. How could you ask for a better return on investment than that?
I know times are tough in these United States financially speaking, but few us can't spare $10. Skip a movie. Skip a manicure. Skip 2 or 3 lattes. Make your own coffee instead and take it to work with you in a reusable travel mug. It's better for the environment, so you'd be doing two mitzvahs for the price of one.
Maybe you don't give a hoot about people dying of malaria in Africa. Pick another charity and do the same. I promise it will make you feel good. I like this particular charity simply because of the amazing return on investment for so little up-front capital. Did that sound republican of me? Eww.
Anyhoo, this is all part of my sudden need to actually embody and act on our Jewish values before the kid gets here so we can pretend we were doing it all along and not just for his benefit. I'd like him to think we've always been good Jews :).
And yes, I know several of my readers already make significant contributions to charities of their choice, so consider yourselves exempt. I just thought I'd give this particular charity a shout out because I thought it was such a simple and brilliant idea. I've put a link to the site on my left hand toolbar which will remain there for the foreseeable future. They have lovely html banners, but I couldn't seem to get them to work despite having no problems with the pregnancy ticker.
Thanks to any readers who decide to make a donation after reading this post. You're literally a lifesaver--and you didn't even have to talk someone off a ledge or pull anyone from burning wreckage, yet your actions are just as heroic as if you had.
Carnage and Cravenness: Gun Violence In America
10 years ago

7 comments:
what a great idea! Yes, I've heard about that organization... my pet agency is Food For The Poor out of Florida... only 4% of donations go to administration- the rest actually goes to their programs!
Also- I know what you mean about getting more religious for the kid... although I'd like to think there is something about having a kid that makes you feel a little more close to God anyway.
I think it's more tradition and secular values in our case. I'm a life-long agnostic and Ethan's got so much beef with G-d that he claims not to believe in him/her/it out of spite :).
I definitely want Mr. T to decide for himself whether or not he thinks there's any sort of higher power, but at the same time I want him to grow up knowing the history of his peeps and the values and traditions that have kept them truckin' for almost 5800 years.
tzedakah yes! but watch out for machines/organizations/people that take high overhead out of your sacred tzedakah shekels.
that is, if you give $70, and the machine takes almost 10% for its overhead (leaving you with $63), and then 'nothing but nets' take say 15% (need to check, but that is 'average'), then you are left with an actual donation of $54.
wouldn't you rather give to a place where nearly 100% of your money goes to what you thought it was going to and not only 80%?
think about it!
some places, in israel, for example, with low overheads:
www.mitzvahheroesfund.org
arnie draiman
www.draimanconsulting.com
From the Nothing But Nets FAQ page:
******
How much overhead does the United Nations Foundation take from my donation?
100% of your donation is used to purchase nets, distribute them to families, and provide education on the proper use of the net.
******
You get exactly what you pay for. $10 = 1 net = at least 1 life saved. It stands to reason that some of the $10 would be needed to distribute the nets and instruct the people on their proper use. How many charities offer that much bang for so few bucks?
Tzedakah literally means righteousness in Hebrew. In the bible, tzedakah is used to refer to justice, kindness, ethical behavior and the like. In post-biblical Hebrew, tzedakah refers to charity, giving to those in need.Reaching out to those in need is central to Jewish being. Jews are commanded to give at least ten percent of their net income to charity. Tzedakah boxes for collecting coins for those in need can be found in central places in Jewish homes.
--------------------------
Angelinjones
Connector
That's absolutely correct and one of the things I really like about Judaism--that you can spread that 10% around to charities and institutions you support rather than the whole thing going to your specific house of worship as in tithing.
Scraping together that 10% in tough economic times is another story, and sometimes we miss the mark.
Which leads us to today's Jewish vocab word: het. :)
*****
Judaism teaches that human beings are not basically sinful. We come into the world neither carrying the burden of sin committed by our ancestors nor tainted by it. Rather, sin, het, is the result of our human inclinations, the yetzer, which must be properly channeled.
Het literally means something that goes astray. It is a term used in archery to indicate that the arrow has missed its target. This concept of sin suggests a straying from the correct ways, from what is good and straight. Can humans be absolved of their failure and rid themselves of their guilt? The ideology of Yom Kippur answers: Yes.
Wow, ppl sure are trying to school you. What is wrong with this world that you cannot plug a great chairt like Nothing but Nets without a bunch of ppl nitpicking you to death. Well, I say "Suck it people!" I'm proud of you, Vicki and totally get what you're doing, regardless of what moniker it may or may not have. Duh.
Post a Comment