My mom gave me 2 bottles of this wonderfully moisturizing lotion while we were visiting this past weekend. In the bottle it has almost no scent, but when I put it on my skin, it smells like plastic Band-Aids. The problem is my skin, not the lotion. It does odd things to fragrances. Some people might be put off by this olfactory transformation, but I found it to be a pleasant surprise. I love the smell of Band-Aids. Plastic ones especially, but the stretchy fabric ones are OK, too.
Since I put the lotion on right before bed, I lay awake for a good 20 minutes thinking about all the other weird smells I like. Feel free to chime in with any weird smells you happen to like. I'd be fascinated to hear.
These are not necessarily in order of preference...
1. Puppy Breath--my absolute favorite smell right after baby heads.
2. The way my dogs smell right after they come in from a walk on a sunny day. I don't know if it's the fresh air or the way the sun activates their oil glands, but they smell wonderful. I scoop them up and bury my nose in their fuzzy coats and tell them they smell like "sunshine." Wet dog smell is repugnant, however. I also love the way Ethan's hair smells when he comes in from the sun, so I'm guessing its an oil gland thing.
3. New shower curtain smell--Applies to vinyl shower curtains only.
4. The smell of those hard, pink parallelogram-shaped erasers you'd get in elementary school--especially when you'd just vigorously erased something and the rubber was still warm from the friction.
5. Crayons--Love that waxy smell. Oddly enough, when I put on patchouli oil (which I haven't done since college), my wacky skin makes it smell exactly like crayons.
6. Rubbing Alcohol and bleach--From a distance. I don't stick my nose right up to the bottle and inhale deeply. They just smell so "clean" to me. Like purity in a bottle.
7. Rain on hot asphalt. I don't know if this is a "weird" smell or not. I can understand how many folks might find it unpleasant, but I love it.
8. That earthwormy smell that hangs in the air after a long, hard rain when the ground is so drenched that all the worms have to come up to the surface. I spent many summer days as a kid rescuing worms that had crawled onto the asphalt to escape the deluge.
9. The smell left on your hands after you've held a caterpillar or caught and released a lightning bug (or firefly, depending on what neck of the woods you're from).
10. Rubber tires. Car or bicycle. Right now we have our bikes parked in the other bedroom which will be the nursery as soon as we get our shit together. Sometimes I just stick my head in their and inhale. I'll give the room a good airing out before Junior comes home.
If I think of others, I'll tack them on later.
Carnage and Cravenness: Gun Violence In America
10 years ago

3 comments:
A)What was the lotion?
B)5, 6, 7 & 8 are awesome. Band-Aids are also cool. I like BenGay, blue cheeses, gasoline, dirt/soil, chapstick original, and rusty metal. I'm sure there are many others, but those pop off the top of my head easily. I'm an avid smeller. I like to smell everything--my career started with paste, rubber cement, crayons, white glue and mimeographed papers, all of which are still dear to my heart. I have a very talented schnoz which was probably why I was offered that ingredient taste-testing job at Hershey. When I'm on the rag or pregnant, my sense of smell is superhuman.
C) I *do* need to update my blog, but I'm still getting used to the new life as a grown up. I'm tired or I'm working or both. At least I'm reading yours, though, right?
MWAH! Love,k
I repsonded via email, but I'll put a comment here for other readers. It's Avon Moisture Therapy Intensive in the blue and white bottle.
Loooooooooooooooooove mimeographs and plain chapstick.
Playdoh!
Kathy O.
Post a Comment